You look at your lawn through your window and you see a green layer covering and beautifying your backyard. But what’s hiding beneath this impressive green blanket? Whether you see them or not, there are lawn enemies all around. And they are not all lawn pests. Lawns might get damaged from a number of enemies. How can you fight them? The first rule is landscaping maintenance Toronto services. The second rule is finding more about the lawn enemies and learning how to keep them away or get rid of them.
Lawn enemies from the ecosystem
With the proper lawn care Toronto tasks, you will keep all lawn enemies away from your property. But it takes frequent inspections and the right treatments. And knowing the lawn enemies is the first step before the right treatments.
Some lawn enemies are part of the ecosystem and they include:
· Grubs: these six legged little yellowish or white creatures eat the lawn roots turning your grass brown before it dies.
· Chinch bugs: these black and white bugs love the sap of the lawn plants and feed on it.
· Snails and slugs: these little species feed on roots, plants and garden vegetables.
One small advice: Don’t use pesticides because they kill earthworms which are beneficial species of your tiny ecosystem.
Fungal diseases are the number one enemy of your lawn
But not all lawn enemies have legs, wings and mouths. Fungus can also damage your lawn. In order to thrive, fungus need warm and moisture confined environments and also spread easily when there is debris. To fight/prevent this dreadful lawn enemy:
· Don’t over-water your lawn. If lawn remains wet for prolonged periods of time, chances are that it will get infected by a disease.
· Before you grow lawn, make sure you choose the right grass for the local climate. Most fungi grow in warm environments but some also grow in cold ones. And so you should check with your local landscape experts, who could also give you some landscaping maintenance Toronto tips.
· Be extra careful with fertilizing. Testing your soil, getting the right fertilizers and apply them properly all ensure that the lawn will not be infected by diseases.
· Mow the lawn, especially before it snows. If long grass is covered with snow, it will bend and keep the moisture under the snow blanket. This would be the ideal environment for fungus growth and spread.
· Clean the debris formed by tree leaves. It holds moisture and keeps nutrients from entering the soil. It creates the ideal environment for fungus disease.
How to identify lawn diseases and fight the enemy
It’s important to check your lawn regularly and that’s why landscaping maintenance Toronto services are essential. But if you see any discolorations on the lawn, like brownish or yellowish rings, there is a fungal problem. If the stems of your flowers change color, it’s also a sign of diseases. If parts of the lawn look greasy, they are also infected.
There are fungicides on the market that will help you keep control of lawn diseases. The best lawn care Toronto methods is prevention. That’s why you should run soil tests often, aerate the lawn, water as much as needed, clean the grass, mow frequently, and fertilize as required.
And remember that sometimes lawn enemies are created out of nowhere. If you walk on lawn when it is covered by snow, you will unwillingly create the required conditions for fungus growth. But if you cannot prevent lawn diseases, at least fight the enemies as soon as possible. And for that you need the experience, regular inspections and professional treatments of landscaping maintenance Toronto specialists.